Monday 14 May 2012

may 2012 releases

This little baby is known as the Angulate Tortoise. It is common in the Western Cape, yet also found in parts of the Northern Cape and Eastern Cape. This particular specimen was no larger than a golf ball yet can grow more than three times that size and can reach weights of about 2kg.


This is known as a Rock Hyrax, locally referred to as the Klip Dassie. They reside mainly around rocks and are expert rock climbers. They are one of a few species that can look directly into the sun without being blinded. They live in small groups and each will look out for potential predators and a call will be sounded where they will scatter for shelter. 

This wonderful snake is referred to as The Olive House Snake. They are a constricting species meaning the species is non- venomous. The average length of the species is between 600-900mm in rare cases they can reach 1m.

The praying mantis


This spectacular sunset view was taken from Disa park which is three towers located in the Vrede hoek area in Cape Town on the foot of the Table Mountain National park.

This shot was taken on my Visit to Calvinia in the Northern Cape. This is also special to me, as the period in which I had visited Calvinia, was known as the dry period. This was one of the three flowers I found that had flowered at the time

The April fool

The King Protea known as The Protea cynaroides. This species is the national flower of South Africa and is by far one of the largest species of Protea.


This is by far one of my prized posessions. This image was taken in a very early stage before the thought of becoming a photographer even crossed my mind. This specimen graced me with its presence while I was photographing a frog on a log along a river.


This is reffered to as an Emperor Clay Monkey. It is a species of Emperor moths. This was a common site for me during my one year stay at Silvermine Nature Reserve. Pure bliss.



No comments:

Post a Comment